As the constant rain drifts out of the forecast and the weather seems to be looking up, it’s finally time to enjoy everything that fall has to offer! Although we all remember the summers from our childhood, I tend to think back to the Falls that I would spend outside with friends after school until it was too dark to see, and with family on the weekends exploring everything our community had to offer! Here at ESP we love to incorporate sensory activities into everything we do, and we want our families to be able to do the same at home – so we’ve made it a little bit easier to do so!
Below are five things that any family can do this fall to not only enjoy the fabulous weather but also engage kids in a positive way!
- Go on an Outdoor Scavenger Hunt with your family! Whether it be in your backyard, at the park or even at the botanical gardens – one of the easiest things to set up is a scavenger hunt! All you need is a bag to hold objects in (you can write your children’s names on them if they want to do it individually), and a list of items that could be found in the area that the scavenger hunt takes place. These things could include pinecones, leaves, acorns, etc!
- Head out to one of the Pumpkin Patches in our area! The Milledge Avenue Baptist Church is a great option if you’re in Athens! While at the pumpkin patch you can pick up the heaviest, smallest, brightest or even tallest pumpkin all while picking out a great pumpkin to make a jack-o-lantern out of
- ESP loves Athens Corn Maze! Take the day with your family to enjoy hayrides, a giant corn tub, snacks, corn launching and of course a corn maze! At the Athens Corn Maze you can not only enjoy the outdoors but also start family traditions in a very family friendly environm
- If you are up for more adventure, take your family hiking for the day with a picnic! We are so lucky to live in Northeast Georgia where there are hiking trails all around us. You can head to smaller trails in Athens or head out to larger hills and trails at places like Amicalola Falls State Park – which includes waterfalls and the option to drive up to the top (perfect for families who may not be able to hike the whole way but want to enjoy the scenery)!
- Our fifth option is something so easy and you don’t have to go very far to do it! Why not clean up your yard while having fun doing it! Everyone can grab a rake, make a giant pile of leaves and then roll around in them for hours without getting bored! Not only are you cleaning up the yard but you are getting your children involved in household chores and creating tons of memories!
We hope these five options give your family some exciting activities for days this fall when you’re in need of activities! Each of these options will provide your family with lasting fall memories and even possible fall traditions. And as a BONUS – you can do a little bit of each of these five activities at our upcoming Fall Festival on October 24th from 3-6! We can’t wait to see all of our families over the coming months and hope you all enjoy the fall!